Stationary sources account for 82% of all air pollutant emissions. The region is one of the most polluted in Europe. In industrial areas there is a large concentration of metallurgy, mining, engineering and chemical plants. The most difficult situation is in the areas of intensive mining and processing of mineral resources: Dnipropetrovsk - Dniprodzerzhynsk algomeration, Kryvbas, West Donbas and Nikopolskiy Raion.
On average, in the area, the amount of harmful emissions is 28 tonnes per km2. In Ternivka, where the DTEK "Pavlogradvugylja" shafts are situated is the amount 100x higher, in Krivyi Rih 35x, in Kamianske 32x, Pokrov and Nikopol 17x, in Dnipro 6x higher.
The list of major pollutants in Dnipropetrovsk Oblast has between 2010 - 2015 remained practically unchanged:
- ВАТ «АрселорМіттал Кривий Ріг» /ArcelorMittal Krivyi Rih
- ВП «Криворізька ТЕС» /Krivorizka TES
- ПАТ «ДТЕК Дніпроенерго» /DTEK Dniproenergo
- ВАТ «Дніпровський меткомбінат ім. Дзержинського» /Dniprovskyi metkombinat im. Dzerzhinskogo
- ВП «Придніпровська ТЕС» / Pridniprovska TES
- ПАТ «ДТЕК Дніпроенерго» / DTEK Dniproenergo
- ВАТ «Південний ГЗК» /Pivdennyi GZK
- ВАТ «Нікопольський завод феросплавів» /Nikolskyi zavod ferosplaviv
- ВАТ «Орджонікідзевський ГЗК» /Ordzhonikidzevskyi GZK
- ВАТ «Євраз-ДМЗ» /Evraz - DMZ
- ВАТ «ІНТЕРПАЙП Нижньодніпровський трубопрокатний завод» /Interpipe Nizhnodniprovskyi truboprokatnyi zavod
- ВАТ «Центральний ГЗК» /Centralnyi GZK
A characteristic feature of emissions into the atmosphere in the territory of the Dnepropetrovsk region is a significant metal content (as a result of the operation of metallurgical plants) and a very high content of hydrogen sulphide.
In the amount of hydrogen sulphide emissions, the Dnipropetrovsk region is at the first place in Ukraine and the highest occurrence of acid rain is observed here.
The occurrence of SO2 in the atmosphere is mainly due to the processes of heating and industrial production. Part sulfur compounds are released by combustion of organic residues in ore dumps. The highest level of hydrogen sulphide emissions produces Krivorizka TES (52329,793 tonnes in 2015). Also, in the air of the region, a high solids content is recorded: up to 130,000 tons.
What do residents of Dnipro breathe?
The two major air pollutants right in the city of Dnipro are Pridneprovskaja TES and Evraz DMZ. Besides these giants, the number of enterprises that use shadow schemes has increased in the city. Such operations work quite legally, but they turn off cleaning filters at night because the cost of cleaning is a large percentage of the plant's production cost. This saves money at the expense of urban air.
It's difficult to find out how much the air in the city is polluted because the city hall do not have the necessary laboratory equipment, the laboratory itself or the specialists who can do this job.