“According to the European Society of Cardiology, polluted air can cause up to 84 thousand excessive deaths annually in Ukraine. Although progressive EU legislation has been largely adopted recently, the quality of life of residents of industrial areas has not improved significantly,” explains Pavlina Filippovova, coordinator of Clean Air for Ukraine project from the Czech non-governmental organization Arnika. “Despite the global pandemic, slowly ending 2020 brought a rapid development of the civic air monitoring, new research and interesting achievements of the local campaigns. Perhaps the exchange of experiences at the conference will help to reduce pollution more quickly,” she adds.
“The purpose of this conference is to share knowledge and useful information in fighting for the best air quality between both local and international specialists, which gives us an opportunity to do so professionally and more effectively. Thanks to efficient cooperation of civic initiatives, experts and the state authorities, we can reach our common goal – clean air for Ukraine,” comments conference organizer Alina Mashenko from Ukrainian NGO International Environmental Security.
Conference Industrial Air pollution Ukraine 2020:
- 17/11 (Ivano-Frankivsk): Civic air pollution monitoring in Ukraine & public campaigns in industrial cities
- 24/11 (Zaporizhia): Regulation of air pollution in Ukraine and the EU at the legislative level
- 1/12 (Nikopol): State of atmospheric air in Ukraine: modern technologies of ecological monitoring from space measurements to real-time display
- 8/12 (Kramatorsk): Legal tools to fight industrial pollution and its culprits in Ukraine
- 15/12 (Kharkiv): Clean air for Ukraine: How can we achieve it?
Although small groups of invited guests will meet in the conference rooms, the participants can watch it online. Each session starts at 3:00 PM (Kyiv time) and offers a space for discussions with the speakers. Free registration and a full programme is available here and additional information can be found at the Facebook event.
Conference is organized with the financial support of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Czech Republic within the Transition Promotion Program, and the National Endowment for Democracy (USA).